Las Vegas Nightlights

Blowhard, Esq. writes:

I have just returned to reality after spending four days in the bizarre, whacked-out, sublime, insane, trashy, sacred, profane, dreamy place known as Las Vegas. After this my 5th trip there, I left convinced it is truly one of the great American cities/creations/institutions/whatever-you-wanna-call-it. I took over 300 pictures on my trip using my trusty iPhone4 and Canon PowerShot, so expect a number of photo montages and essays over the next week or so. To whet your appetite, here’s a little sampling of the city’s wonderful signage.

UPDATE: Las Vegas’s Neon Museum will have its grand opening October 27th.

About Blowhard, Esq.

Amateur, dilettante, wannabe.
This entry was posted in Commercial art, Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Las Vegas Nightlights

1. Nicole Magnoli says:

Fantastic collection!

2. Sir Barken Hyena says:

What no hookers?

• Blowhard, Esq. says:

Didn’t see many hookers but I saw tons of hooker dresses. More on this later.

• Sir Barken Hyena says:

Wait, is that the thing I saw everywhere when I was in San Diego last month? Ridiculously short tight skirts on every female? I haven’t seen it in Arizona but I assume it coming.

3. Blowhard, Esq. says:

Yup, pretty much: short, tight, low-cut, with heels. It was the uniform of every attractive woman between the age of 18 and 35. Made for some pretty entertaining sightseeing.

4. Nice snapz, great signs. American commercial signage is definitely an artform that can use more attention and luv. Looking forward to more pix and musings about Vegas.

I don’t know where I stand on the young-American-women-wanting-to-look-like-hookers-and-pole-dancers questions. On the one hand: end of Western civ. On the other: what could be hotter? Did anyone really anticipate that one upshot of women’s lib (’70s style) would be that young American women would WANT to go around dressed up like hookers and strippers?

5. Pingback: The Neon Museum | Uncouth Reflections