The Question Lady

The Question Lady writes:

How do you deal with strangers who overhear the conversation you’re having and comment on it?

About Question Lady

I want to know.
This entry was posted in Personal reflections. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Question Lady

1. Epiminondas says:

Depends on the remark. If they were to erupt into a brutal guffaw in the middle of one of my particularly poignant essays on the evils of affirmative action, I imagine tables would be overturned and a tragic effusion of blood would result.

2. Blowhard, Esq. says:

That doesn’t happen here in southern California. People keep to themselves. I would imagine if someone chimed in on another’s conversation — no matter what the reason or content of the remark — the persons being intruded upon would think the intruder is a serial killer.

3. Sir Barken Hyena says:

I met one of my best friends that way, oddly enough.

4. Julie Brook says:

A raised eyebrow, a vague response such as “that’s nice” or “interesting”.

5. Gary Reams says:

I’d beat the living crap out of them.

6. Callowman says:

That almost never happens. The only incident I remember was when a grad student idealogue type butted into a political conversation with his opposing political opinion. We mumbled “Mmmm…” and lowered our eyes. When he continued after an awkward silence, I explained that he should “fuck off”.

Come to think of it, there was another time, too, but that was kind of an interesting story. I’ll get back to you later on that if anyone’s interested.

7. Maule Driver says:

If the person was attractive or otherwise looked interesting, I take it as an invitation to be social. Otherwise I’d pull out one of my half a dozen “you don’t really want to go there” looks and step away.

8. I tend to speak loudly, so if someone joins my conversation it isn’t really their fault. Working in retail I have to listen to strangers conversations and respond accordingly, (I over heard you say to your friend you were looking for such and such, let me show you ) 😉