How Much of a Libertarian Are You?

Here.

I scored a 78. How’d you do?

Onetime media flunky and movie buff and very glad to have left that mess behind. Formerly Michael Blowhard of the cultureblog 2Blowhards.com. Now a rootless parasite and bon vivant on a quest to find the perfectly-crafted artisanal cocktail.
This entry was posted in Politics and Economics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to How Much of a Libertarian Are You?

1. epiminondas says:

118

2. Alex J. says:

146

3. Callowman says:

84. I can’t go along with some of the extreme ones. “Should we all march purposefully off a cliff (but individually, without state-funded ‘this way to cliff’ signs!) whilst feeling exceptionally pure and virtuous, each in his own particular way?”

4. I’m always torn on quizzes like this one. Am I supposed to give an “in my personal ideal world” sort of answer? Or am I supposed to say what I think would work well given the world we’re actually living in? Often two very different things.

5. 83, but I wish there was an option for “I don’t know.”

6. dearieme says:

In my experience the merits of quizzes are vitiated by the demand for tick box answers. Such a constraint is intolerable to a true libertarian. (It seems to suit Americans though.)

I like utopia as well as the next feller.

8. epiminondas says:

Actually, when you get to a question that bothers you, just ask yourself if the law in question requires bureaucrats. Meditate on that for a while. Then vote.

Pretty low; only 45. But then, I’m more old-school conservative than I am libertarian…

10. 68. But, then again, I already know I am a paleoconservative. Not a libertarian.
    Per the ideal world vs. world-we-live-in-now point, these two things may as well be the same thing in the latter, though.

11. Aside: As I actually hold a government office, I am also biased in some cases. My default is subsidiarity: The lowest form of government should do things that need doing. My default is not “The government is evil and shouldn’t do anything.” Although the “government is evil” part is true, as cliched as it is, it is also true it is a necessary evil.
    My score probably does put me in the most libertarian percentile of people that hold public office, at least.

12. Glynn Marshes says:

85.

“51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.”

Heh. No. But I know that’s what they’re thinking 🙂

Some of the questions didn’t accommodate my views.

E.g. “Is all government essentially exploitation of the productive members of society for the benefit of a parasitic ruling elite?”

It naturally tends to that, sure, but there’s no room in the answer for that lovely concept of a contract between citizens and government . . .

I scored quite low. Given the libertarian crowd here I won’t even say the number. I actually believe in collective action (in addition to individual initiative–one can walk and chew gum). But Charles Lane nails the significant caveats to collective action here:

14. EKE says: