Paleo Retiree writes:
- Has the time finally come to end affirmative action?
- Meet Stoya, favorite porn star of today’s hipsters. Safe for work — the link goes to a Village Voice article.
- Although a majority of Americans want immigration rates reduced, one estimate says that the pending Senate bill, if passed, would result in more than 33 million people immigrating over the next decade alone. “The pending bill allows illegal immigrants to bring their overseas spouses and children into the country,” warns NumbersUSA. I sometimes wonder why we bother with borders at all. Link tks to Steve Sailer.
- Foseti reads an unusual biography of Lincoln. I can recommend a Lamont Johnson-directed TV movie about Lincoln, as well as the Gore Vidal novel it was based on. I’m no Lincoln scholar, but both works struck me as unusually sophisticated about politics generally.
- The Manolo knows just which shoes a getting-married-on-the-beach bride ought to wear.
- Teaching multicultural values in school often backfires. Who could have foreseen such an outcome?
- Russia: Awesomest country on earth.
- Netflix Instant Movie Du Jour: Torremolinos 73, a droll charmer about a hapless couple who stumble into making porno films. Spanish filmmaker Pablo Berger may not develop his storyline as fully as one might want, but he has a sweetly offbeat touch as well as an infectious fondness for the 1970s. And his lead actors deliver performances that, in their combination of daring, frankness and comic control, are worthy of a Bertrand Blier movie. Candela Peña’s doleful expressions especially are something to treasure. Quiet, deadpan hilarity to the max.