Bar Scene Du Jour

I was nursing an Old-Fashioned and messing with my new iPhone at the corner saloon when I looked up and saw this scene before me:

ne_nyc_2013_11_knickerbocker_smartphones01Counting me, as I suppose we must, that means four out of the six people at this bar were sitting there drinking and staring into electronic screens. Wasn’t socializing one of the main things we used to go to bars for?

Onetime media flunky and movie buff and very glad to have left that mess behind. Formerly Michael Blowhard of the cultureblog 2Blowhards.com. Now a rootless parasite and bon vivant on a quest to find the perfectly-crafted artisanal cocktail.
This entry was posted in Food and health, Photography, The Good Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Bar Scene Du Jour

What I find dismaying, is that everyone in that pic (or behind the cameraphone), is older than me, rather than younger; I expect that kind of thing from young’uns today, but I hope it remains less common amongst older folks.

2. agnostic says:

At least they aren’t on laptops (although the black dude has a tablet).

Prolonged screen-staring in public is a status-striving thing — “look at me, I’m not looking at you.” It tends to strike the age groups who are most eager to prove how uniquely awesome they are, and too important to pay any attention to their surroundings. But this picture was snapped in New York City, probably the darkest black hole of one-upsmanship (“Center of the Universe”), so even the grown-ups are playing along.

Not even the adults become secure and established in New York — everyone is always struggling not to tumble downward, hence always broadcasting how well and up-up-up they appear to be doing (while sinking deeper in debt behind the public performance).

3. agnostic says:

The Absinthe Smart-phoner.

Maybe they are texting one another

5. Fabrizio del Wrongo says:

Is that Ben Bernanke?

6. Interesting that the screen-users are all alone, and all male. Anyone else reminded of that old Steve Martin movie “The Lonely Guy”?

7. Pingback: Restaurant Scene Du Jour | Uncouth Reflections

8. Christine says:

I miss cigarettes in bars more than ever.