Movie Poster Du Jour: Dr. Strangelove

Fabrizio del Wrongo writes:

100_8760

About Fabrizio del Wrongo

Recovering liberal arts major. Unrepentant movie nut. Aspiring boozehound.
This entry was posted in Commercial art, Movies and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Movie Poster Du Jour: Dr. Strangelove

1. slumlord says:

Very overrated movie. Fail Safe, by Sidney Lumet, was far better.

2. slumlord says:

For those who are interested.

• Fabrizio del Wrongo says:

Really? I hate “Fail Safe.”

• slumlord says:

Why?

• Fabrizio del Wrongo says:

Well, maybe “hate” is a bit strong. I’ve seen it a couple of times. The last time I found myself thinking that it was incredibly overdone. Just airless, humorless, with too many big looming close-ups. All of it seems intended to emphasize the message — which is that nuclear war is real bad. I guess that’s fine. Just not my bag. Glad to hear you’re a fan. Maybe I’ll revisit sometime.

• Fabrizio del Wrongo says:

Kubrick’s version is overdone too, of course. I’m not an enormous Strangelove fan, but I think he was onto something in realizing that unless he treated it as outrageous comedy, it’d turn into a slog. Also, I think Kubrick’s treatment of the Cold War as a giant case of blue balls is pretty clever.

• slumlord says:

The ambassador’s screeching telephone as Moscow gets nuked is one of the most hair raising moments in movie history in my opinion. Both Ford and Hagman were fantastic in their roles. Matthau was brilliant as the amoral policy wonk. The military were portrayed very sympathetically, in my opinion. Not as madmen as the “cool crowd” would like to portray them but as men who had to do a terrible job. The seriousness of the movie was entirely appropriate.

Nuclear war was a serious subject and though I could appreciate a comedy about the situation I thought Kubricks treatment of the subject failed. I thought Kubrick’s comedy was grotesque rather than black. Bit like a comedy about the Holocaust.

3. Toddy Cat says:

Personally, I’m not really fond of either of them.Way too obvious, killing gnats with a sledgehammer.

4. Tex says:

Love Strangelove, though Kubrick botched the ending horribly

5. Toddy Cat says:

The “Strangelove” poster is pretty good, though.