Paleo Retiree writes:
Slick, clever, pretty amusing if also occasionally not very convincing Jean-Claude Van Damme time-travel action thriller from 1994, directed by Peter Hyams from a comic-book series. Van Damme’s a cop who’s assigned to police misuse of new time-travel capabilities; Ron Silver is the sleazy politician who’s determined to make a lot of misuse of them. The effects are pretty good (not that I’m someone who’s real picky about effects …); the plot loop-the-loops back on itself pretty cleverly; Van Damme is pretty likable as well as less wooden than usual (he spoofs himself in a few bits); and the masterly Ron Silver is hilariously Evilllllllll. There were long stretches where I found myself thinking, “Hey, Peter Hyams was a pretty darned good director!” But there were plenty of other stretches where I found myself thinking, “Hey, that’s why we laughed at him.” He did try awfully hard sometimes.
- Amazon Prime subscribers can watch the movie for free.
- It’s also part of a couple of very inexpensive DVD packages: this one and this one.
- Surprise surprise: Universal is planning to remake “Timecop.” Ain’t that a mindbender.
- Fabrizio took a look at a more recent J-C Van Damme movie — directed, amusingly enough, by Peter Hyams’ son.
- If you’re one of the six people in the universe — past, present and future — who haven’t seen Jean-Claude do an epic split for Volvo, here’s your chance to catch up.
- Don’t forget to visit our Tumblr blog, where we share some of the twisted and foul things that stir our libidos. NSFW to the maxxx.