“The Cosmopolitans” (2014)

Blowhard, Esq. writes:

AM6A7693.CR2

Because I am ‪#‎hardcore‬, I stayed up until midnight so I could watch Whit Stillman’s potential series pilot THE COSMOPOLITANS as soon as it went live on Amazon. The show opens with Joan Osborne singing “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted” over picture postcard views of Paris and titles written in a handmade French art deco font — it’s like the man has a direct line into the pleasure centers of my brain.

Starring Chloë Sevigny, Adam Brody, Carrie MacLemore, Jordan Rountree, and Adriano Giannini (the first three of whom are Stillman vets), the show mixes the group dynamics of METROPOLITAN with the lovelorn ex-patriates of BARCELONA, delivered with Stillman’s arch charm and droll humor. I particularly liked the inclusion of an older Italian as a more sophisticated European rake to mock and needle the American boys. Much like the girls trying to improve the boys in DAMSELS IN DISTRESS, it’s almost as if Stillman is trying to teach American men his Euro-inflected patrician-WASPy version of Game: wear a blazer or suit, go talk to the pretty blonde across the room, and don’t forget to dance. (The kinds of things previous generations learned watching French New Wave films, in other words.) My only complaint is that we see little of Sevigny, a defect that will no doubt be remedied if the show goes to series.

Related

About Blowhard, Esq.

Amateur, dilettante, wannabe.
This entry was posted in Movies, Television and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to “The Cosmopolitans” (2014)

1. lloydville says:

Just watched it — terrific stuff.

Liked by 1 person

2. Toddy Cat says:

If we lived in a sane society, Stillman would be at least as famous as Woody Allen or Quentin Tarantino, and anything that gets Chloë Sevigny more screen time works for me. Let’s hope that it succeeds.

Liked by 1 person

3. peterike2 says:

Can’t wait to watch this. I love Stillman. He also employs my Celebrity Dream Date, Greta Gerwig. I wish she were in this. But Chloe Sevigny (basically, an earlier version of Gerwig) is plenty good enough.

“If we lived in a sane society, Stillman would be at least as famous as Woody Allen”

True enough, but he really has to up his output. His first three films had four year gaps, and then a 13 year gap for “Damsels.” That’s just too much. Whatever audience he gathered for the first three had long forgotten him.

Imagine if he churned one out every year like Allen!

Liked by 1 person

4. Toddy Cat says:

Yeah, when people start saying “gee, I wonder what ever happened to that guy who made ‘Last Days of Disco’, did he die or something?”, it’s been too long…

Liked by 1 person

5. peterike2 says:

Watched it and it was really good. Just good, clean Whit Stillman fun. Great dialogue, the usual sort of dead-pan acting he invokes, great scenery, lots of pretty girls. Now I have to go vote on it.

Even if you don’t watch it or watch it and don’t like it, do the rest of us a favor and vote in favor of it! Go here, scroll down, click on “Amazon Pilot Season” and take the survey!

Liked by 1 person

6. Pingback: Father Knows Best: Labour Day Edition | Patriactionary

7. mike says:

A hell of lot of young guys these days seem to be following the moppy hair /aviator sunglasses Scott Walker look. I saw three at once walking down the street the other day. I find this kind of odd considering hardly anyone these days has actually seen or heard of the guy.