Linkage

Onetime media flunky and movie buff, formerly Michael Blowhard. Now a rootless parasite on a quest to find the perfectly-crafted artisanal cocktail.
This entry was posted in Linkathons and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Linkage

1. plwinkler says:

Camille Paglia seemed refreshingly iconoclastic when she first came on the scene in the early 90s. Now she’s just a broken record.

• JV says:

Broken record or ideologically consistent? I was reading that interview and thinking, oh right, this is why I enjoyed her back in the 90s. Particularly her take on the ridiculous attempt by modern US universities to police their students’ social lives. I suppose she doesn’t have any “new” ideas, but if her old ideas are (sadly) still needed, then that’s good enough for me.

2. agnostic says:

What’s even more funny-sad about the environmentalists welcoming in hordes of Amerindians from N.America is that they’re the main example that Jared Diamond gives of a large-scale civilization that more or less blew itself up ecologically, way before the evil white man showed up (the Anasazi and the Maya).

Much of the immigrant hordes come from places where they’re adapted to slash-and-burn farming. I didn’t major in Ag Sci, but judging only from the name, that doesn’t bode well for the attitudes and practices they’re going to bring here.

So, in addition to the quantitative problems posed by the immigrants’ sheer numbers, density, and geographic interconnectedness, there’s a separate qualitative failure to select immigrants who come from cultures of stewardship (mostly pastoralists).

The enviros are either ignorant of basic history and anthropology (not unusual), or just pushing the thought onto the back burner, as though Western enviro indoctrination can transform slash-and-burners into husbandmen. The well-paid ones are corrupt shills, of course. I’m talking about the everyday enviro.

3. agnostic says:

Although in typical Talmudic style, Diamond would probably argue for the exclusion of Scandinavian immigrants, based on the collapse of the Norse colony in Greenland.

I suppose if pendulums swing in the Department of Religious Revivals the same as they do in other places maybe we are in for a revival. And maybe it will be Islamic. But there are at least two other possibilities, both of which strike me as more likely.

First, if we are in a decadent phase in the West it could be that we may be overrun by Islamic thought but that we ourselves are will be in no mood to get all worked about about purity in any way, shape or form.

The other possibility is that we may have further revivals but they will be an extension of the West’s ongoing drift away from sky gods to earth gods. An aggressive insistence on The One Big Sky God used to be characteristic of the West and we gave that up for Lent–probably a good thing too, especially if you are partial as I am to evolutionary explanations for changes in dominant ideas. The meme ” I will kill you if you don’t believe in my Big Sky God” wasn’t performing well and needed to be retired. I note it is still not performing well, except if you happen to find the call to prayer in Cairo calming.