Paleo Retiree writes:
- Toby Young considers what’s become of the meritocracy, a concept invented by his father.
- We’re still living in the wake of America’s meritocratic era.
- Trump isn’t trying to erase trans people.
- “I don’t want to create fear, but I think there’s very little time left.”
- If the U.S. is such a hellhole of racism, sexism and oppressiveness, why do so many people keep trying to move here?
- We? Them? Steve Sailer comments.
- Patrick Buchanan turns 80. His latest column is a beauty.
- Is liberalism finito? John Gray sure seems to think so.
- The latest from the great James Kunstler includes this startling sentence: “I hope that Democrats lose as many congressional and senate seats as possible.”
- Douglas Murray asks: “Should it be illegal to call Mohammed a paedophile?”
- Bu-bu-but … Biology isn’t real!!!
- Time to end factory farming?
- Theodore Dalrymple marvels at the ability of intellectuals to reason their way into embracing absurdities.
- Where architecture in particular goes, everday Americans have much better instincts than critics, intellectuals and ideologues do.
- David Brussat writes a great review of what sounds like an enormously important book about architectural modernism.
- I’ve ordered my own copy.
- I’m also looking forward to Katie Hutchison’s upcoming book about cottage-style houses. My wife and I have been living in onesuch for a couple of years and love it to death. What a wonderfully informal, adaptable and delightful style it is. I urge you to poke around Katie’s website too. Katie does a lot of beautiful work.
Obviously we _should_ be allowed to call Mohammed a pedo (or a space lizard, or a Democrat), but I find it kind of annoying because it’s not really accurate.
First, Mohammed was just some guy in Mecca. Then he was contacted by angels, so now he’s a Muslim. But he still just has one wife. Then, eventually, he becomes a nation-building warlord. So now he needs soldiers and allies. To get allies, he starts making a lot of political marriages. One guy he needs to make an alliance with only has one daughter available, and she’s six. Well, shit. Do you want to win the war or not?
See, a pedo _wants_ to bang little girls. A great leader _will_ bang little girls (or do other nasty things) to ensure victory for his side. Mohammed was clearly prescient enough to know that this was going to come up, since he told his followers “Write down nothing from be but the Koran.” This didn’t seem to take. It seems like the person to blame for this is current Muslims, not Mohammed. There are “Koran-only” Muslim sects which regard the Hadith as just a bunch of stories, rather than religious imperatives, but I think they tend to be regarded as heretics by the mainstream.