Paleo Retiree writes:
- Irony du jour 1.
- Irony du jour 2.
- Meet the inventor of the selfie.
- Why do our elites cling to liberalism as if it were a religion? Jim Kalb has some hunches.
- Tyler Cowen’s recent conversation with Camille Paglia is a lively one.
- A new study concludes that “police are three times less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects.”
- A convincing takedown — from the left — of Bill Clinton’s presidency.
- Patrick Buchanan at his best.
- Rod Dreher at his best.
- Steve Sailer at his best.
- Some fascinating and beautiful photos of life on the very remote Faroe Islands.
- Fact du jour: “There has yet to be a financially viable women’s mainstream sports league in the United States.”
- Ron Unz makes a 180 (OK, a 170) on immigration.
- The U.S. is still using floppy disks to run its nuclear-weapons program.
- Coming soon: Negroni Week.
From the Unz article:
“Making the crucial distinction between being ‘pro-immigrant’ and ‘pro-immigration,’ Unz writes that immigration levels ‘should be sharply reduced, probably by 50% or more.’ Regarding illegal immigration, he proposes a large increase in the minimum wage to draw Americans into low-skilled jobs, based on the proposition that ‘Minimum wage laws are far easier to enforce than immigration laws.'”
I’m not sure that’s true, and I’d prefer allowing wages at the bottom to rise organically by keeping out foreign labor through enforcement of immigration laws.”
The police shootings study used simulators. I’m not sure that’s a valid comparison to real police situations. And I was hoping it was true, so I don’t have an axe to grind on this.
Here’s an excellent piece about Pat Buchanan.