Eddie Pensier writes:
- Meathead of AmazingRibs not only knows his meats, he knows his pizza. Check out his taxonomy of American ‘za styles.
- Why foie gras production is not cruel to ducks.
- The indispensable Jeffrey Steingarten asks: Is true happiness possible without gluten?
- The dumbest article on alleged sexism in the restaurant world (and criticism thereof) you’re likely to read all week.
- Behind the scenes at the Metropolitan Opera’s Grand Tier Restaurant.
- Deep-fried peanut butter. I am repulsed yet strangely aroused.
- James Morrow slaps down the McDonalds haters, pointing out their astonishing hypocrisy in the process:
A few years ago the Australian Medical Association suggested that obesity cost the healthcare system $1.2 billion a year. But that wasn’t headline-making enough, so they instead declared that “Factoring in lost productivity, obesity cost Australian society and governments $21 billion”.
Oddly, no one ever counts up the “billions” in lost productivity from inner-city workers ducking out for a coffee once or twice a day. Add it up and your typical office worker might spend a week each year on the boss’s time enjoying a product that can cause everything from increased blood pressure to anxiety to anaemia.
Don’t hold your breath waiting for a scare story about how the Big Barista industry is wreaking havoc with health and productivity.