The Last Honest Meal

Eddie Pensier writes:

If you’re the type of diner who judges restaurants by hygiene and cleanliness, this sign in the window of Dinastia China might give you pause.

WP_000798

That is, of course, the New York City Health Department Sanitation Inspection Grade. A “B” grade means that the establishment has received between 14-27 points of “violations”, as judged by the inspector. This could mean anything from failing to sanitize knives to harboring salmonella.

Once you get inside, the atmosphere doesn’t inspire much confidence either. The décor could charitably be described as “utilitarian”.

WP_000797 WP_000796

Dinastia is a Chino-Latino restaurant. If you’re not familiar with the term, it’s what happens when ethnically Chinese Hispanics open eateries catering to both aspects of their heritage. Half the menu has Chinese food, and half has Latin food. Most NYC Chino-Latinos are Chinese-Cuban, although there are also Chinese-Dominicans and Chinese-Venezuelans. The waiters at Dinastia in fact hail from throughout Latin America, and if you address them in Spanish, they’ll reply in kind.

Probably the most famous dish on the menu, and the one that kept me going there once a week for nearly a decade, was the chicharrones de pollo sin hueso.

chicharronesThe picture doesn’t do justice to the size of the crackling chicken chunks: each one would be the creditable filling to a chicken sandwich. The meat is juicy and flavorful and the crust is crunchy yet miraculously not greasy. The chicken can be adorned with the tableside condiments of hot sauce, soy sauce, or vinegar, or with the provided lemon wedge. But honestly they’re so damn tasty they hardly need anything at all. They are the standard by which I judge fried chicken, or you can think of them as the McNuggets of the gods. Accompanying the chicharrones are a perfunctory salad and maduros, the gloriously sticky fried plantains that serve as both side dish and dessert.

This platter of food, which comfortably feeds two hungry people, is priced at $13. Let that sink in.

Just as delicious is the beef stew, which my dining companion ordered off the lunch special menu. A deeply comforting, intensely savory, and messy dish served over a gargantuan scoop of rice, again with the super-basic salad. This largesse will set you back $7.

WP_000795

The rest of the menu is similarly generous: the bistec encebollado (onion-smothered  thin beefsteak), pernil (roast pork) and Chinese-American classics like sesame chicken and beef with broccoli are all delicious and soul-satisfying. My seafood-eating friends tell me that the serrucho al ajillo (fish fillet broiled with vampire-killing amounts of garlic) is sensational as well.

Even though in so many ways the Manhattan of my childhood is disappearing, replaced by a bland corporate Singaporeish homogeneity, I feel grateful that places like Dinastia still exist, even on the ultra-gentrified Upper West Side. What you get is honest and authentic, and I don’t mean hipsterized, fancied-up Authentic™, created to provide a slumming nostalgie de la boue experience. I mean the sort of place where working folks could get real, tasty and unpretentious food, a neighborhood joint from back in the day when working-class people could actually afford to live on the UWS. (It wasn’t that long ago.) Where I, in that cash-strapped two days before payday, could buy a bucket-sized takeaway container of rice and beans and stretch it out for two, perhaps three meals.

There are fancier restaurants in New York, and I’ve shared some of them with you. But there might not be any more honest than Dinastia. Go visit before it, too, becomes a casualty of the times. And for the love of God order the fried chicken.

Dinastia China, 145 West 72nd Street, New York

dinastia

About Eddie Pensier

Television junkie, opera buff, connoisseur of unhealthy foods, fashion watcher, art lover and admirer of beautiful people of all sexes.
This entry was posted in Food and health, Personal reflections, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Last Honest Meal

Never heard of ‘Chino-Latino’ before; we certainly don’t have anything like that up here in Canada, to the best of my knowledge (not having many Latinos, period; just a handful).

I have had Asian style fried chicken before – last December, I visited an Indonesian place which served some, and it was wonderful. So I’d love to try this, definitely!

• Asians definitely have a way with fried chicken too. In fact, my second-favorite fried chicken is from a Taiwanese street-food vendor in Sydney’s Chippendale area. I’ll post about them soon.

There is a tragic lack of Latinos in Australia too. When I go back to NYC I tend to gorge on my favorite old Hispanic comfort foods. There are a few good Mexican restaurants in Sydney, but Dominican, Puerto Rican, etc. is absent, and the only Cuban place I’ve seen in Sydney has a Ché Guevara/revolutionary theme that rather disgusts me, so I refuse to go there. (The menu looks pretty silly too.)

• Will S. says:

Oh no; I hate Che idolization, and to combine that with a restaurant, would be like having a Russian restaurant with a Stalin theme, or a German one with a Hitler theme. Ick. I’d never go, either.

2. Chino-Latino Cuisine? The Manolo calls your attention to the city of Mexicali.

Mexicali is the birthplace of the Clamato(created at the Hotel Lucerna), home to one of Mexico’s best craft beers: Cucapa, and has the largest Chinese immigrant population in all of Mexico. This is a place of carne asada, chabelas(beer cocktails with Clamato juice), and a local style of Cantonese-Mexican cuisine that is famous throughout Mexico.

When Cachanillas aren’t eating tacos they eat Chinese food–6 out of 10 seats in Mexicali restaurants are for Chinese restaurants. Around 1 PM these restaurants will be packed with locals feasting on their own brand of Cantonese-Mexican cuisine. The most well-known and beloved of these 250+ restaurants are Rincon de Panchito–owned and operated for the last 28 years by Panchito from Canton–and nearby Dragon restaurant.

Liked by 1 person

Reblogged this on Will S.' Random Weirdness Blog and commented:
    Chinese Latino food sounds awesome, even as it’s weird in its unexpectedness… I really need to revisit NYC; it’s been far too long…

4. Tex says:

Although on the other side of this coin, one of the shittiest meals I’ve ever eaten was the Chino-Latino restaurant on Broadway and…98th? 99th? And they’re still bloody there!

5. Pingback: Beer Day Out | Uncouth Reflections