Paleo Retiree writes:
- Might the New Traditionalists in architecture have a point after all? I was peddling pretty much exactly this piece to editors back in the 1990s and got precisely nowhere with it. NOT THAT I’M BITTER OR ANTHING.
- Trad architecture buffs will definitely want to be following the Twitter stream of the brilliant Wrath of Gnon. Here’s an interview with him.
- Why can’t traditionalists win competitions? The great Léon Krier has a hunch.
- Back when I was freelancing, I raved about a book of Krier’s. I think even more highly of it these days. Buy a copy of it and prepare to have your mind blown.
- Is the Alamo being poorly reimagined?
- Is the new Penn Station an improvement?
- On the damage Brutalism did to London.
- Startling, innovative Federal building in San Francisco by chic architect Thom Mayne fails to live up to expectations. UR contributors have had it in for Thom Mayne for years. Given our record, why aren’t the authorities consulting us for ideas?
- A nifty introduction to a forgotten but amazing 19th century resort town.
- Robert Stark interviews Old Urbanist Charles Gardner.
- Is “starchitecture” finally over?
- Let’s have more animal bridges and animal crossings.
And a collection of architecture-oriented memes that I’ve enjoyed recently. (“Public art” really is a scam, btw. For a taste of the academic absurdity of it, take a look at this page.)
I’ve been using the term “Starbucks Moderne” to describe the “developer modernism” style.