Ronco’s Amazing Umami-at-Home!

Fenster writes:

I suspect fellow umami lovers at UR (see here, here, here) were, like me, initially thrown by the concept.  How is it that some upstart new taste can shoehorn its way into the the four-way schema we’ve known for our whole lives?  It was puzzling at first but after a while I realized that I was mostly thrown by the idea and the odd name.  My brain was in the way.  Further south, in my mouth . . . well then it came down to the old de gustibus non est disputandum. As a matter of actual taste, there could be no dispute that umami was right there all along, hiding in plain sight.

Indeed, as I thought about it more I came to realize that for as long as I could remember my cooking was oriented unconsciously toward the fashioning of umami bombs.  Dinner is just OK?  Mmmmm . . . . maybe add some parmesan?  Maybe some soy sauce?  Bacon?

I also came to think of the things I am never without, like fish sauce and anchovies.  And then, come to think of it some more, I recalled the three things I specifically make up to be kept in the freezer, to be added whenever the occasion arises.  I have them in there right now, my own Umami-at-Home kit.

The first: duxelles.  Easy enough.  Buy mushrooms in the cheapo bin, a lot of them if they have ’em.  Cheapo is usually fine since if they are getting a little past, the more’s the funk. Run them through the food processor till very finely chopped.  Sautee in butter and/or olive oil, some salt/pepper till reduced to a paste.  Freeze.  I freeze in small blocks so they can be tossed in whenever.  There are a ton of recipes on the web that are a little more elaborate, and I will often vary with different herbs.  But that’s basically it.

dux

The second: roasted tomatoes.  At the end of the season I bought a 20 pound box of plum tomatoes.  I cut in half and placed them on baking sheets, adding a good amount of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake at fairly high heat, 400 or so, until they have given off most of their water and are beginning to char.  You want something between a cooked tomato and a dried one.  Freeze these, too.  You can freeze as is or run them through the food processor for a kind of homemade, charred, oiled-up tomato paste.

tomato

The last in the freezer is the best, IMHO.  Perhaps you’ve heard of it: trotter gear.  This is the term Fergus Henderson (he of nose-to-tail fame) has come up for for his ingenious additive.  It’s trotters–pig’s feet–simmered in a wine and vegetable broth until totally, totally falling apart.  Several hours anyway.  Then the hard part: pulling apart the falling apart feet, discarding the many tiny bones and saving the broth, the skin and the little meat that is there.

The skin and meat are chopped up fairly fine, but there is not all that much of them.  That’s OK, though–the lead actor here is the broth, which contains copious amounts of gelatin from the simmered feet.  This is the magic part.  Food chemists slave for what they call the right “mouth feel”, and hope to get there artificially.  Nope.  This is mouth feel personified, or pork-onified if you will.  Honestly, adding this to most stews, soups and braises can do wonders.

trotter1

Here’s some gear in a glass jar.  I usually freeze mine in chunks.

Added Umami-at-Home Bonus!

Here’s a recipe for homemade Chiu Chow Chili Oil.  This does not have to be frozen.  It keeps well in a jar at room temperature.  But to be honest, it doesn’t survive long in the house.  My wife and I and all three kids–often picky eaters–put it on almost everything.  Such is its umami punch.  I use it on eggs a lot, as Fenster recounted here.  But it has gone on most everything else, save things with chocolate.  Come to think of it, though, that might work, too.

chiu

Chiu Chow Chili Oil

2 cups peanut oil

1/4 cup sesame oil

3/4 cup tablespoons dried chili flakes

1 tablespoons onion powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons fermented black beans, or fermented black bean and garlic paste (Amoy is good.  See picture below.)

Heat the peanut oil and sesame oil in a pan till it gets to around 250 degrees.  Assemble the rest of the ingredients.  Take the oil off the heat and add them all, stirring carefully as you do.  Cool.  That’s it.
amoy

About Fenster

Gainfully employed for thirty years, including as one of those high paid college administrators faculty complain about. Earned Ph.D. late in life and converted to the faculty side. Those damn administrators are ruining everything.
This entry was posted in Food and health, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Ronco’s Amazing Umami-at-Home!

I’m surprised we never, in the West, figured it out, either, and that it took the Japanese to identify what we missed for so long. Good on them! Of course, Japanese cuisine is great, so maybe it isn’t surprising they identified it. Just weird that we didn’t.

Re: anchovies on pizza – I’ve always loved them, and I’m surprised how many people today seem not to like them on their pizza – yet many pizza places still do carry them, so some people at least are eating them…

BTW, the Swiss have a condiment, a sauce called Maggi, made by Nestle, which is similar to soy sauce. I don’t know how the Swiss use it, but the Dutch have adopted it as their own, and use it to add body, and that extra ‘something’ (i.e. umami taste), to their soups. I’ve come to love it, and I now ask for it if I’m at a Dutch family Sunday lunch, and they forget to put it on the table when they serve the soup – I know they’ll have it… 🙂

3. Sasha says:

I guess I’m an umami-craver, since I am firmly of the opinion that there are few things that can’t be improved with either soy sauce or vinegar (or both).

• Will S. says:

I agree. And I’m glad that Chinese restaurants that mostly to their own and serve congee, that rice porridge dish which can be plain or with stuff like meat, veggies, fermented eggs, etc., always have soy sauce, red rice vinegar, and chili oil on the table; I usually add a bit of all three. Just kicks it up enough; turns rice porridge into a tasty soup.

• Fenster says:

Absolutely. I am a huge fan of Chinese food, especially the real stuff in China. But I must say I cannot warm to congee at all unless it is kicked up. I get that all cultures have their mashed potatoes, grits, porridges, oatmeals and such, sometimes eaten unadorned. I can’t do that with congee.

• Will S. says:

Nor could I eat plain congee. I saw plain congee served for breakfast in a hotel in Europe, presumably catering to their Asian guests. I thought, plain rice porridge for breakfast, without anything to put in it, blech!

4. Shelley says:

I do something similar to the pig’s feet with chicken feet when I can get them. Start with 5 or 6 pounds of them, roast them on big sheet pans until they just begin to char. Put them in a big stock pot with water to cover and then boil gently until all the connective tissue breaks down.

• Fenster says:

Yes I did this once and it is similar. I make a lot of chicken and turkey stock from bones and carcasses, and they can often turn jello like when cool from the gelatin in the bones. But the feet made for a different, richer kind of stock altogether and, yes, kind like trotter gear. Maybe better as an additive than soup base.

5. Sasha says:

Come to think, the two restaurant meals I always try to make time for when I go to Sydney are: the xiaolongbao at Din Tai Fung (those wicked pork dumplings with precisely one slurp-full of silky, salty soup inside) and the Nobile white pizza at Fourth Village in Mosman: gorgonzola, speck, and truffle oil.

Yep, an umaddict for sure. 😉

6. Sasha says:

Yep, an umaddict for sure. 😉

7. Pingback: More Umami Confessin’ | Uncouth Reflections

8. Pingback: Umami Burger, Revisited | Uncouth Reflections

9. Pingback: Food-and-Eating Smackdown: Bobby Flay’s Gato vs. Madison Square Eats | Uncouth Reflections